Составные слова — это очень непростая тема при изучении любого языка. Соединяя в единое слово ранее различные понятия, носители языка часто создают термин с совершенно иным значением, не имеющим ничего общего ни с одним из компонентов составного слова.
You need to construct compound nouns from these words in the box below to fill in the gaps in the sentences.
Some of the words are used twice, but in a different order
- I only have coins on me and that’s a _________________. I will have to see if there is a public phone in that bar.
- I want to put a _________________ in the car as they say it really makes toddlers safer while driving.
- John was furious with the airline company. He sat on that plane for 14 hours and his _________________ didn’t work. He couldn’t even finish that novel he was reading during the flight. He had to try and sleep.
- «What type of credit card is that?» «That’s not a credit card. That’s a _________________. I use it once a week to call my mum back home in New Zealand.»
- All the _________________ in this house have to be repainted. Otherwise, they will rot over the winter and then we may not be able to open the windows in the spring.
- English restaurants have a terrible reputation, but the _________________ is very tasty.
- I worked at night for so long that when I finally started to do some _________________, I found it really strange.
- A _________________ sank off the Spanish coast last night. Both fishermen were saved by the coast guard.
- I know that Monday is a holiday for everyone else, but for us it’s a normal _________________. We have to get this project finished by Wednesday!
- Why do you have a _________________ in the middle of your lounge? I keep feeling tempted to go up to the bar to order drinks!!
I only have coins on me and that’s a CARD PHONE. I will have to see if there is a public phone in that bar.